Re: MARATHON MANIA, and which leg is the toughest!

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by Leif Irgens on January 15, 2008 at 12:29:28:

In Reply to: Re: MARATHON MANIA, and which leg is the toughest! posted by Marty DeMouy on January 15, 2008 at 08:01:51:

Having run both the third and the fourth legs, I think it's certaily fair to say both legs are hard. I'd also feel comfortable saying that the 3rd leg is slower than the 4th - due to the net elevation gain and the greater number of uphill stretches. However, the length and steepness of Fire Station Hill creates a different scenario. If you try to elevate your effort to maintain pace on Fire Station Hill, the last mile of leg four will bring some serious suffering, regardless of the fact that it's mostly downhill from there to the exchange zone. However, running at a steady effort up Fire Station Hill and accepting a slower mile spilt for that 4th mile can alleviate that suffering.

Personally, like them both. I think I prefer the 4th leg because Fire Station Hill is harder than anything on leg three. Plus, there are no major downhills on leg four. That downhill stretch on University on leg three caused me more physical pain than any uphill has brought to me in terms of anaerobic suffering.

So, I guess I'm Marv Thronbury over here. "I feel very strongly both ways". ;-)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL: