How about a million miles?

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by Bruce Coldsmith on June 14, 2006 at 09:30:17:

With all this talk of getting out the word on running, I feel compelled to share an idea I've mentioned to a few of you, and to some corporate folks and politicos. So far I've received great feedback.

I read recently we are the most obese state, we have a sedentary population, and you know the story.

I am trying to put together what I am calling Mobile's Million Miles. This would be an effort to raise awareness of fitness in the city/area where we would encourage people to report how many miles they ran, walked, biked, or swam between the First Light Marathon and the ATR. This is a time period long enough that we could establish some healthy habits, get people into exercise, promote our races and generally do good.

Dalton has indicated that he thinks he could put together a website that could accomadate the reporting. I think we can get TV/Radio/and Newspaper to support the idea. Think what a boon this would be to see Mayour Jones log 26 miles between the two races, finishing with the 2 mile ATR walk! Think how great it would be to have Rono leading Council Elementary School through a one mile run at an assembly! Think about Jon Adams leading the folks at Manci's on a one mile run at 2 AM when the bar closes!

My intention is to make this happen this Winter. Please let me know what you think, and particularly if you are willing to help in some way shape or form.

Think of impact of our area posting 2,000,000 miles over that time period! OR MORE!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL: