Someone Move My Cheese, Pleese!

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by Monetta Roberts on January 21, 2008 at 21:06:59:

Friends: Don't know if Frank was a current Pacer or not, but I know he had a long history as one, and the PCP is mentioned in his obit in the local paper....here's mine:

I was probably one of his last local friends to learn of this, and I don't really know who among you knew, or didn't know Frank deGruy, [former runner and] racewalking bon vivant, but he left this earthy realm Friday night, January 18. He had time to call the paramedics and unlock the door of his home before having a massive heart attack en route to Springhill Memorial Hospital. His bride of sixty---yes, sixty, years, Katherine, told me they revived him two or three times in the ambulance, and at the hospital they even detected a faint pulse before he went on to bigger and better things. Such was the strength of the 83-year-old "Fighting Tiger" pilot from WW1 (the Big One) who flew B 17s over the Himalayas.

Frank was a major part of Mobile's Tuesday Night Group Racewalk Track Workouts & Margarita Swilling Contests, back in the day, and he brought a great many newcomers into the group, including some I count among my best friends today.

Frank competed and competed well at the USATF National Masters 5K Racewalk Championship in Kingsport, TN, and easily won the friendship of Race Director Bobby Baker, who promised Frank he could continue to have bib number 1 in the masters race every time he returned. I know someone [outside this Forum] will forward this to Bobby, so he'll know his masters #1 retired undefeated.

If I were to try to relate to you what Frank meant to me as a friend, I'm afraid I'd be here all night---maybe longer. Frank was that special kind of friend who doesn't come around often, who appreciates you and encourages you for who and what you are; and I'm going to miss that and him like the dickens. And the stories I could tell: Oh GET OUT, I wouldn't know where to start, and I know I'd never end. Frank could, and often did, make me laugh until cheese dip came out my nose! Frank was full of more life and more fun and more goodness than I could ever be in three life times, and that's if I was really trying hard.

I love Frank like family---better even. And the world's such a better place since he was here.

I can't say I'll miss the cheese sauce nasal rinses, but I sure will miss ya, buddy.

Mo Roberts

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL:
Link Title: