Running in the Rain

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by Gary Cohen on June 24, 2008 at 08:51:18:

Running in the Rain

Summer storms in June, July or August where I live in central Florida are as common as heat and humidity. Anyone who runs regularly knows that when Atlantic sea breezes meet winds from the Gulf of Mexico every summer afternoon that storms may be brewing. Some people avoid running when it rains, but unless lightning is present, it can be refreshing.

One day last week I met two runners I coach as they were scheduled to run eight repeat 200 meters with a 2 ½ minute rest break. The first half of the track session was done under cloudy and humid conditions before rain moved in. They were running a negative split session with times getting progressively faster. My short rendition of “Running in the rain, running in the rain” before the fifth 200 meter repeat either spurred them on or encouraged them to get going to avoid hearing further singing. Either way, they continued to drop their times during the remainder of the session, though winds increased and the rain turned into a downpour.

It reminded me of when I was on the track a week after the Florida State Cross Country Championship during my senior year of high school. I had finished seventh among a very strong field and my coach and I wondered how fast I could run a 2-mile. My best time was 9:50 my junior year. We headed to the track for a time trial. It started drizzling light rain and by the end of the second lap it was pouring. I tossed my wet and fogged glasses to the infield and ran blindly. I don’t recall lap times or my mile split, but I ended up running 9:36 which unofficially tied the Dade County record and was a personal best by 14 seconds.

Another rainy day which stands out was during my first day of freshmen orientation at Appalachian State. I was invited on a trail run by several of my future teammates who were in Boone, NC for the summer. While running 10 miles on the hilly terrain at Moses Cone Park in nearby Blowing Rock, a real gully washer hit. I had so much fun with the combination of hills and cooling rain – what a change from the heat and humidity of Miami where I lived at the time.

The best rainy runs are when it’s really hot in the summer and a cooling rain comes down during the last couple of miles of a run just when dehydration is setting in. The rain feels so good on hot skin and helps decrease core body temperature. Definitely beware of lightning and stay inside during violent storms, but take time to enjoy running in the rain.

Gary Cohen has 35 years of competitive running and racing experience highlighted by best times of: 5k – 14;44; 10K – 30:28 and marathon – 2;22:34. He is a regular writer for Florida Running & Triathlon magazine. At www.garycohenrunning.com you will find over a dozen FR&T articles, interviews with running personalities and dozens of “All in a Day’s Run” essays. Do you have any stories of running in the rain?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL: