Success Is Sweeter The 49th Time Around

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by Monetta Roberts on June 28, 2008 at 07:13:46:

Hey;

Just gotta share this with someone who'll appreciate how sweet the most minor of victories can feel....

Since having my delicate, childlike neck reconstructed in early April (including, among a laundry list of other fun stuff, a corpectomy---Google THAT for a fun read!!) my goal has been to, (a) recover; and (b) get crazy fit again. Because being unfit is no way to live life, I decided right away to go with the Mind Over Matter approach: My mind over all that foreign matter they stuffed into my cervical spine.

So slowly, I've been able to throw back in some swimming, some racewalking, biking, and kayaking, all in small doses. Once, a few weeks ago, while walking the beasts in the woods, I tried running a few steps with Piggy---just to see---and in about 3.5 strides my head felt like an overripe pumpkin atop a spike and I stopped real quick like. I think that's what the surgeon's nurse must've meant when she said, "Your body will tell you what it's ready for."

So here's the GREAT THING: I'm just back from the track where I warmed up and cooled down with some racewalking and was actually able to JOG a MILE, I even picked it up so that I think it even LOOKED like a jog for the last 400m!! I am crazed with happiness and gratitude; and I cannot wait for the day 'til I am out there sweating half to death again!

Ahhhhhhh, life is good!

Mo

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL: