Do you have running/racing goals??

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by Jon Adams on December 11, 2008 at 12:12:13:

There are probably as many "reasons" for running as there are runners.....well perhaps not quite THAT many reasons, but you get the picture. Do you have a specific running or racing goal? Do you have a specific time goal for different race distances? Do you simply enjoy running for the sake of running or perhaps for the health benefits? I have never been one to start my running workout without some sort of "plan" in mind.....there is/was always a purpose behind each run....pointing to a particular short term goal which in turn led to a longer term goal. I know there are many runners who can walk out the door, start out on a run for no other reason than to enjoy the "moment".....taking in their surroundings while "losing" themselves during their run. I wish I had a little bit of that mindset in me, but I just don't.
I have discovered that a vast majority of runners seem to fall in a "grey" area....they have abstract goals....along the lines of wanting to "run faster sometime this or next race season"...or "I want to catch (insert name) in one of the races"....the list goes on.
The problem with this approach IMO is a lack of a good structured training plan designed to get this person to their goal. Most people who "float" along with their training, trying a little of this or a little of that with no clear defined direction are doomed to mediocrity. Natural talent will take you a certain distance depending of course on just how carefully you chose your Parents.
This subject came up recently with another running associate of mine (in fact it comes up quite frequently)...I encourage and applaud those who come out to our "open" track sessions held at McGill thru most of the year, but at the same time I try to impress upon those who attend that doing the one weekly track session is only one part of the puzzle....it has to work in conjunction with a total training plan.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL: