Another Country Heard From

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by Monetta Roberts on March 07, 2009 at 16:42:43:

In Reply to: Re: Old Mobile, One Milers, and Board Members posted by Pat Hilliard on March 06, 2009 at 10:24:11:

All:
Just catching up on the lastest discussion and have three or four main thoughts, in no particular order (like always):

1. FBM on the board! AB-so-lutely!! (<--- see how I played off his belly thing with the "AB"???) He'd be a natural. And as Kerry has pointed out time and again, "having" time isn't the thing at all...."making" the time is. When I served on the board for quite a number of years, in more than one position, it happened to be when at the time when I was "ate up" with my training and racing, so it wasn't like I was just sitting around watching reality TV after work.

And Kerry, I feel for your plight, but I know a sure-fire cure for your overworked club blues: Quit your position. Just as nature abhors a vaccum, so does a volunteer (or any other) organization......I promise you if given NO choice, SOMEone will take over your duties. For any of you really old timers who remember when Herb Dykes did practically everything; when Scott Paper Co. gave him the Big Paper Cut in the paycheck and he had to move away, not a lot of folks knew how to do what, or what needed to be done. Even I, a club newbie got talked into talking Race Coordiator job, which meant ensuring every race had a director (Herb had directed them all, as far I recall). He taught me what he could before he left, and we did what we could, and we managed and life as we knew it went on. And that's what will happen if and when ANY board member has enough and steps down. I'm not saying it's the best way to vacate a seat----but the club will rock on. Don't stroke out waiting for someone to come and ask for your job......you've done your time!

2. While I too think a pre-event 1-mile is a good idea, MAYBE it's a better idea for SOME locales, like, say the Turkey 10-Miler, Holiday-Half, ***Chickasabogue***or where ever the isn't so much traffic that having a cert. 1-miler first would be a BFD with the po-po, the permit, etc, etc, etc. ????

3. With regard to board openings, I will say that I do miss writing the PL, but I am sure there is no room for two chiefs, and I don't make for a good assistant. If there's any interest from the editorial board, however, I would like to make an offer of bringing back my monthly Pacer of the Month (POM) one page article, wherein I once interviewed and photographed (or borrowed same) a current member. There may or may not be room/interest, but I throw it out because (a) I miss writing; and (b) there were tons of Pacers I never got to before vacating the palatical PaceLetter suites. I would ask only for final editorial approval.

Ok,
Mo

P.S. The lenght of this post reminds me of something that recently happened: A life coach offered me a "deal" of 15 mins @ $1 per minute. I laughed for several minutes, caught my breath and told her that at the end of 15 minutes I wouldn't even be closed to finished talking, and she wouldn't've gotten a single word in edgewise!!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL: