Re: Arthur in the knees

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by Monetta Roberts on September 09, 2009 at 22:18:03:

In Reply to: Re: Arthur in the knees posted by Lu Jeffrey on September 09, 2009 at 21:10:43:

Jimmy "Knee Arthur" White:

Here's another country heard from (me, Mo). While I fully understand that this is not what you were asking for, and is not what you want to hear, I throw out for your consideration an option from waaaaay left field.

In the horrible and unfortunate event that the NSAIDS, extra care, attention and downright babying don't seem to do the trick to keep you running down the roads (or grassy or dirt trails, which would actually be a bit easier for Arthur's knees)----and believe me, I don't think I know you, but I hope you are able to manage this new-found running challenge---it was a fond, though unrealized hope that I'd be able to resume running after spinal surgery 18 mos ago.

Anyway, should your best efforts fall short [and I HOPE THEY DON'T!] then a nutty sounding option would be to let me give you some racewalk lessons.

There are pros and cons, and to list a few pros, I'll say that racewalking is low-inpact and would be lots easier on your knees; is more like running than walking with respect to how fast and fit you can become (or remain) depending on the training you want to put into it (unlike regular walking which pretty much has a built-in speed limit); and there are dang few males currently racewalking locally, so it be good all the way around.

A couple of cons are that it's technique intensive and until your running muscles relearn, it'll take a fair bit of technique practice to switch from the one to the other. BUT, once you get it, you've got it. Another thing---I'm not gonna lie---is that it *can* be perceived as looking pretty dad-gum silly. But you know, I think the triple jump looks a little odd too, so, whaddyagonna do?

Anyway, think about it if you want, and let you knees help you decide. You might enjoy it, and it would certainly be better than having to leave the racing scene, should it come to that. If you're interested, or get interested, you can reach me @ Staylowstaymo@gmail.com

In any event, great good luck with Arthur!

mo~

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL:
Link Title: