Last Word on First Light

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by Monetta Roberts on February 10, 2010 at 19:39:00:

All:

I was momentarily washed over by a wave of sadness this afternoon for the sort-of-recent-loss of my dog-of-a-lifetime. Most memories so happy you had to be there, like the slow-Mo Tai Chi-like move he put on me slap dab in front of the SHC Cathedral, on Old Shell Road, when he went to hike his leg for some water-letting (totally acceptable in my playbook) but then in one very slow and com-PLE-tely continuous motion, continued onward into a full-frontal squat (not acceptable: NOT acceptable!) It could've been described as poetry in motion, except, of course, for what it was. The boy either had a change of heart, mid-motion, or was smart enough to know a "stand alone" squat would result in one very swift, very serious tug on the leash toward the nearest bush or private area.

In any event, today's thoughts just brought to mind the giant hole and resulting loud sucking sound he left behind, BUT it always reminded me, that while I made mention in this forum of my First Light fundraising efforts for local pro-poor and homeless, no-kill, animal efforts, I never said how it all turned out! Spendid, in as much as I've never been what you'd call a fundraiser:

I netted $430 dollars, of which $430 I was extremely and fabulously grateful for! And how sweet is this? $50 came from Fairbanks, Alaska, where two extremely successful athletes, and personal friends of Piggy, live. $220 went to ARF, a local volunteer-based, no-kill shelter with a 21-animal waiting list, last time I spoke with Michelle Turner, the President. (Don't skip the Wiggle Waggle Walk & Rescue Run in March at Brookley Field, produced by Little Red Hen! They need volunteers, sponsors and athletes! There's even a 1-mile you can do with your dog.

$80 went to Baldwin County's Mutt Ministry, a non-profit org created by marathoning vet Dr. Beth Taylor. And $100 went to Mobile vet clinics to be used only for the neediest clients for their pets' medical care and meds.

The race, I gotta tell ya, was fantastic! Two relays teams, plus me, were registered and, as the weather forecast worsened in the week leading up, the teams began to self-whittle: One person forgot it was his birthday (Ok....); another remembered she has a bladder problem (it happens); a few brave folk said they just didn't want to get out in the cold. So who could blame 'em? Not me, that's for sure!

By race eve we had two (2) relay members: Krista Presnall and Tony Price plus me. I decided I'd forgo the 26.2 and help the relay team challenge the defenders, The Magic Motov8trs (named after my car tag). Only problem, race officials said a relay racewalk team with just three folk would be DQ'd should they finish ahead of the team with five. Not a problem! We decided should by some miracle we best them, our closer would stand idly a step or two short of the finish and text someone, or clean her nails: Something!

Not to worry! Every though Krista and Tony had only th briefest rw lessons pre-race, we rocked solid! I started, with a lead and handed off to rookie Tony. Tony came in to mile 10 with about a FIVE minute lead over a veteran racewalker!!!!! Pandamonium broke out! I took over and at mile 15 punched my lap button until the defender's athlete came in: 10:00 f.l.a.t.!!

Here's where it really got good! Tony had taken off, unaware of what kind of lead he had. Barbarella Mangum-Sharp (she who is now speedier than me) she off like her feet were on fire! Tony thought he heard her voice at the Hilliard's water stop, near mile 17.5, and was racewalking like a scared coyote! I punched my clock again at mile 20 and waited for Barb to come in: 4 mins, 6 mins, 7 mins, 8........the margin? 10:01!!!! Tony out racewalked her by :01! Unbelievable!

The Motov8tors overtook us in the final 10K, but I'm telling ya, it was a horserace for 20+ miles! Very exciting. AND, because we couldn't win anyway, there was no way we could lose!

Bottom line: It was great fun and felt like SUCH a good thing to do, for the helpless animals, I'm going to do it again next year, and have walk, racewalk and run teams. There'll be a minimum fundraising amount, but it won't be big cake; and I'll supply a training schedule and we can even have group training. Any animal lovers, or people who'd like experienced coaching, feel free to contact me anytime about this.

And contract ARF at www.animalrescuemobile.org to see how you can lend a hand, foster or adopt a pet or do something that'll make you feel really good.

Thanks, All.

mo~

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL: