Dodge Kids

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by Lu Jeffrey on January 16, 2011 at 19:31:03:

Dodge Elementary is the largest elementary school in the Mobile County School System with a student body of over 1,000.
Two years ago the principal of Dodge, Suzanne Crist, started an after school running club held at the school, utilizing an asphalt track for which she obtained a grant to have installed. There are over 100 children, kindergarten through 5th grade, that participate. Dr Crist has set up an excellent running program for the kids that includes lessons on running form, stretching, race etiquette and inspiration. She has also developed materials for documenting and following measurable progress for each child. The running club meets every Tuesday afternoon from 3:15 pm til 4:15 pm. I have made a New Years resolution for 2011 to go at least two times a month to run with and encourage the children.
Suzanne and the children would be delighted with any participation from you "real" runners. I can tell you there is no better running experience than running around that little track with a 2nd grader holding your hand and chattering away!
Daisy Cheatwood (daughter of Dale) who placed first in her age group at the Panther Pride 5K this past Saturday is one of the members of Dodge Running Club....these kids are serious!
Even if you can not come out and run with the kids there are other ways you could help; there is dirt/clay built up on a couple of sections of the track that it would only take a short time to remove by a few Pacers with shovels!
If you want more info, please contact me.
luj@mchsi.com

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL:
Link Title: