Oooee! I Almost 4Got!

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by Monetta Roberts on November 19, 2007 at 21:19:28:

Gang:\

Something new and exciting is about to begin sweeping the big races from coast to coast! Maybe!

At the Philadelphia Marathon this past weekend, there was an all-new, user-more-friendly timing chip being used, and it is waaaaay cool! After we were all chipped up, the pre-race announcements claimed that this new system was being debuted at Philly and they urged everyone to look around at everyone's shoes to make sure the chip was there.

When we got our numbers, it was explained to us that a hard, but very thin, plastic strip, maybe 2-3" long (I can't estimate, sue me) was stuck to the middle of the number. Sure enough, it was and the only identifying info written on it was the bib number.

There was one hole punched in one corner, and we were instructed to peel the strip off the bib number and lace the plastic strip into our shoelace, making sure not to bend it. On the back, there's a tiny copper-colored micro-chip in the middle, and some of those computery silver lines leading away from the chip in both directions. I probably have mercury poisoning in my big toe, right now! I bet I do. Do I look pale??

Anyway, the greatest thing is that this chip strip is disposable! No more chip return! No more walking away from a really tired volunteer de-chipper with your shoe untied and half unlaced!

And the bad news? For you seriously mental folk who are conditioned to get a warm fuzzy when you hear your foot beep as you cross each and every chip mat...this puppies don't beep. No beep, no chirp, no buzz, no nuttin'. The more compulsive among you will probably want to turn back and recross the chip mats over and over again, to be sure you registered. And the slovenly among you (Ok, I'm mainly talking me) will possibly leave the used chips on your shoes and just keep stringin' new ones on!

You're gonna love it when you get to use this new system, and remember....you heard it here first. ~~Mo

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL: