Options...

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by lynn allin on September 21, 2006 at 11:41:15:

In Reply to: Need some coaching help. posted by Kevin Egan on September 11, 2006 at 18:38:18:

First: congratulations on joining the ranks of runners! Banish that couch potatoe once and for all!
Second: this town has a wealth of information for runners, and you are in the right place to find help.
Short of hiring a personal trainer, I can't suggest someone who will sit and review stats with you. BUT, big but,(and with me that's a given) there are a bunch of running groups, that once infiltrated, will be happy to ante up free advice.

I am with the Blue Bell Bombers and we meet every Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday at the Blue Bell Loop off Rangeline at 6 pm. (Unless we are running marathon hills from Krystal on Sunday) I am the slowest runner there, so it might not be a group you want to train with, but depending on your goals, sometimes it is motivational to meet and train "around" people that are where you want to go. What I mean by that is: most people there have already qualified for Boston. I am a deadbeat by comparison. So I can't do the speed work at the pace they do, but just be being near them and watching what they are doing, motivates me through my own workouts. We warm up and cool down together so there is lots of opportunity to chat and get info.

Point of story: find a group near you, that shares your outlook on running and maybe some of your running goals, that motivates you sufficiently and who you have fun with. This will keep you coming back for more and bring you to the next level.

Another option for analysis of stats and encouragement is the TNT (Team in Training) program we have here. Check phone book. They train people for 1/2 and full marathons, a common running goal. There you get individualized attention, a group to train with, many of whom are beginners such as yourself, and you raise money for a great cause (leukemia and lymphoma society)

Next option: If you have specific questions, post them here. the running community in Mobile is very supportive and knowledgable.

Keep going amigo!

Lynn "friendly runner lady" Allin

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL: