Directions to the....."Brand New" Turkey Ten!!

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by Kerry Rehm on November 05, 2006 at 19:37:50:

Sandy & I have just returned from a trip north to the lovely town of Creola to check out the new race course for the Turkey Ten & 5K. It looks great and nicely marked. )Thanks to Jon Bowie & Leon Mattics for taking their time to do that. It will make it easier for me to set up the course come race day.) By the way, the course map is located on this website for those who have not seen it yet. Just click on "Maps" then choose from the list.

Now that I've got my bearings straight (this area of the county is foreign to me), I thought I would let ya'll in on...what I think...is the best way to get to the "Starting Line" for anyone coming from Mobile or any other southern areas. I found that it was easier to find if one was to go I-65 North to Exit 22 (Creola). (Some may choose the Exit 19 (Satsuma/Creola) route which is fine but one who may also be foreign to this area may get lost having to deal with the neighborhood streets)

I'll tell you what....I'll just give you both ways and let ya'll decide which would be best for you....OK??!!! :)

Option 1 - I-65 North to Exit 22 (Creola)

When you get off this exit, you will come to a stop sign and have to turn either left or right. Turn left. You will then head to the street which over passes the interstate. After stopping there, turn left and go over I-65. After you get over I-65, take your first right. Take this road for awhile (about 1/2 mile, maybe). You will experience a few curves in the road and then will come out into an open area to your right and the road will then straighten out. You will then approach a small intersection. Turn right at this intersection. Just stay on this road (which will go under the interstate) and you will reach the destination - Mobile County River Delta Marina.
NOTE: TO HELP YOU, IF TAKING THIS ROUTE, LOOK FOR THE BROWN-COLORED "MOBILE COUNTY RIVER DELTA" DIRECTIONAL SIGNS WHICH ARE PLACED AT ALL TURNS MENTIONED ABOVE.

Option 2 - I-65 North to Exit 19 (Satsuma/Creola)

When getting off I-65 at this exit, be sure to stay in the lane that takes you to Creola. After off the ramp, you will be on Hwy.43. Take a right at the first light. You will then be on Dead Lake Rd. Take this road till it dead ends. Turn left onto Hardy Dr., go a little ways down then turn right back onto Dead Lake Rd. Go down this road for a while then the road will begin to curve to the right and you will be approaching the same overpass mentioned in Option 1. This time, from this direction, you will want to turn left BEFORE going over the overpass. After that, follow the directions mentioned in Option 1.
NOTE: I'M NOT SURE IF THERE ARE ANY OF THE BROWN-COLORED SIGNS, MENTIONED ABOVE, THAT WILL BE OF ANY HELP ON THIS ROUTE BUT STILL LOOK FOR THEM.

Hope this helps and remember the race will start at 8:30 so get there EARLY, EARLY, EARLY because "day of" registration will close at 8:00 sharp.

Also remember that this is our Holiday Party so bring some goodies...especially for your favorite Course Marshal. ;)

MOST IMPORTANTLY - BRING FOOD DONATIONS FOR THE BAY AREA FOOD BANK.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL: