One Runner's FUNdraiser: Come, Won't U?

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by Monetta Roberts on November 20, 2006 at 19:29:19:

Guys:

Below is a cut and pasted announcement about a fundraiser for one of my Team in Training runners who is raising $ for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and will be running the Rock-n-Roll half-marathon in Arizona in January, 2007. ALL of these team members (past and present) do an incredible lot: They have a solid ton of training to squeeze into their already busy lives (Sam here has a nearly 7-month old daughter plus a full-time job); they have to raise a minimum of funds so that no more than 25% goes towards the expenses of their entire marathon or half-marathon experience)---a full 75% goes towards a combination of research, patient aid and education; and watchdog groups verify that the LLSA is indeed a worthy non-profit charity that sends its money where it claims to. Don't know if you know anything about leukemia, blood cancers, or the treatment of same, but I heard a talk by the doctor who, a few years ago, developed Gleevac, the drug that has had remarkable results for many adults with one type of leukemia. He spoke at a pre-marathon TNT dinner and said that for the last two years of his research his salary was paid entirely by the LLSA. That really drove the importance home to me, having lost my daddy to leukemia at the tender age of 84 years and 10 months. Anyway, the doctor added that he would be running the marathon with us the next day. Cool! THEN, as if if couldn't get any better, he introduced a young man who had been in one of his very first experimental drug trials for Gleevac and had tremendously good results. THAT guy, said the doctor, was ALSO running the marathon the next day! It was a feeling unparalleled by most things one does in every day life, to say the least.

Anyway, besides all the TNT participants have to do to "graduate" from the program, the worst thing for all the local TNT runners and walkers is, at least for this very last team before my retirement, they have to put up with ME, Coach Mo, for several months of training which includes twice a week group training wherein I rant, rave and generally yak all through the workouts, no matter HOW long the "long day" may be. NOW, does you heart not bleed for these poor athletes???

Anyway, this fundraiser is going to be lots and lots of f-u-n! There will be no door charge, all monies raised will be from the door prize raffle AND whatever people may wish to donate. So see Samantha's (SammyGirl) announcement below, and come help out a fellow athlete who is trying her darndest to help out all present and future fellow humans with leukemia and other blood cancers while achieving an athletic goal. You donations are tax deductible, and your support is priceless. Hope to C many of you t-h-e-r-e! (Double Olive is at the Loop.) Please tell/bring all your friends/family/neighbors! Mo

FROM THE DESK OF SAMANTHA WILLIAMS:

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to let you know that on Thursday, November 30th from 5-8pm, I will be having a fundraiser at the Double Olive! It should be lots of fun, we have some GREAT door prizes to raffle off - including gift baskets from Bobbi Brown Cosmetics, Airbone Skin Care, dinner for two at a fantastic restaurant, framed art by a local artist, etc. Hope you guys can make it, we are going to have a lot of fun! :)

Take care,
Sam

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL: