Re: How was the other marathon Jon?

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by Jon Adams on January 17, 2007 at 10:43:02:

In Reply to: How was the other marathon Jon? posted by Victor Birch on January 15, 2007 at 12:02:09:

It was GREAT Victor! ....thanks for asking. Leif is correct, the weather was IDEAL (for me)with the humidity being low of course. The last time I ran this race as I passed the 10-mile marker I noticed the temp was sitting at 70 degrees which made for a "death-march" for me in the final miles as I managed to finish in 3:30. This year as I passed the same 10-mile mark I looked up and saw the temp was 31 degrees......no wonder I was feeling great!!!!
This was certainly not my fastest marathon, but it was perhaps my second most satisfying one. My December traing had left a LOT to be desired so I was very concerned about my fitness level going in to this race. I knew I was going to have to run smart to avoid crashing towards the end....and was hoping to hang in there for a 3:30 qualifying time. This race definitely re-affirmed how important it is for me to have cooler, dry weather for a decent race time (long story as to why).
I took off at what felt like a crawl and was pleasantly surprised when I hit the first mile at 7:44 (I had projected an 8:45 for myself.)The weather enabled me to run "easy" the entire way.....never hitting an "8:00 mile" the entire race. This was the most "even-split" marathon I've ever run.....my half split was 1:37 and some change. The best part of this race for me was not the fact that I ran faster than I had anticipated.....but how easy it felt in doing so. Those are the kind of races we ALL look forward to!

I had entertained ideas of running First Light at the last minute.....but for me, it would have been a "disaster"....I probably would have been a DNF in the weather that y'all had to endure......my "Hat's Off" to all of you who ran this past Sunday at First Light Marathon!!!!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL: