Re: GPS measurment inaccurate

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by Jon Adams on January 30, 2007 at 09:11:35:

In Reply to: Re: GPS measurment inaccurate posted by Lisa Blount on January 30, 2007 at 08:33:34:

I'm always slightly amused at the comments I hear from various running buddies upon finishing a race or a run in regards to this. The usual scenario is 4 or 5 of us will hit the "finish" line and everyone will check their Garmin (or whatever is being used)...and if we have 4 devices in use, I can pretty much bet that we will have 4 different "results".(LOL!) I've had numerous people approach me after a race on a certified course and state....."Boy that was off!!! My GPS shows we ran 14 miles instead of a Half Marathon!" (LOL!).....if they only knew the pains that our area "course certifiers" go thru to make sure the distance is accurate as advertised. I have seen what Leon Mattics, John Olive, & Jon Bowie have to do to actually get a course certified....it is very meticulous. Of course with the human factor....mistakes CAN happen, but overall if you run a certified course you can count on it being within guidelines.....an accurate measurement.

Don't get me wrong, GPS devices are great! They can be a useful tool, and a fun device to use for training purposes and such.....I just wouldn't stake my life on their being dead on .

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL: