Re: The ATR or the SFC?

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [All Messages]

Posted by Jon adams on January 14, 2005 at 08:23:02:

In Reply to: The ATR or the SFC? posted by Joey Warner on January 14, 2005 at 01:16:14:

Joey, I'm sure you and I could sit around for a couple of hours one night after a track session and discuss the above subject at length (in addition to solving most of the world's troubles! LOL). I agree with your concern and hope regarding some of the above races. I'm sure both the ATR & SFC will feel the effects of the scheduling conflict to some degree, hopefully it will be a minimal effect for both.
I wish I knew all the reasons for the "ebb & flow" of participation at different races. I remember as well, running the Vucan each year.....and it being one of the "premier" events in our area. The same holds true IMO for the Fiesta over in Pensacola. Although I never personally cared much for running Fiesta due to it's time of year (HOT!)...it too used to be more of an "event" than it is today.....or at least that is how it seems to me.
What is it that causes a race to falter or flourish? I realize that economics plays a major role, but that doesn't fully explain why some races such as the Cooper River 10K grows or holds steady in numbers while Vulcan and others see a steady decline.(perhaps due to local economy....I dunno?)
I suppose though, instead of just wondering "why?".....the question I should put forth is "What can I do to add to the excitement of our local races?.....What can I do to help them grow?" (unfortunately I cannot help much in the money area....alas, I am but a poor working stiff!)...but I know there are things I can do to help "behind the scenes".
Joey, you are to be commended for your contributions to our running community, as your participation, encouragement, and promotion is exactly what we need! ......we just need a hundred more like you!

So do we have any positive ideas to contribute? What can we do to improve? What can we do to make ATR & Charity 10K bigger and better? Joey is correct, these races are our responsibility as a community. We should keep in mind how unique we are to have TWO nationally recognized races such as these in ONE community the size of ours.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL:

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [All Messages]