Re: running at Blakely State Park

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [All Messages]

Posted by Leif Irgens on January 14, 2005 at 09:31:39:

In Reply to: running at Blakely State Park posted by Joseph Rolison on January 14, 2005 at 08:13:18:

Joe:

It's been about 2 years since I've been over there so it's possible a few things have changed since then (For example, "Ivan" may have "re-decorated"). Several of the Spiridon runners and "friends of Spiridon" have been running over there in the summers. It's a great place to run. There are dirt roads, paved roads and trails. There are plenty of hills which, while undesirable to some, are an excellent avenue for building strength and fitness. Plus, it's a quiet, scenic environment; a nice change from the concrete/ asphalt jungle.

A couple of things to keep in mind:

The park does charge an admission fee. The last time I was there, it was $2.50 for a day or $40 for a pass for the year. Since they close at 5:00 pm, many people just skirt the gate after 5:00 pm. I feel a little guilty doing that so if/ when I start running there again, I'll buy another yearly pass just to satisfy my conscience.

The flying insects are AWFUL in the summer months but bug repellant seems to keep them away (at least for most people, some of us are "buggier" than others".

The banana spiders start building monstrous webs on the trails around June or July. At that point, I switch to staying on the dirt and paved roads because I have some "fear factor" issues with spiders. I understand these banana spiders are harmless to humans so, if running into an occasional spider web doesn't bother you, feel free to wander the trails too. The web season seems to wind down around October. Actually, winter is my favorite time to run over there. I just haven't been because my mileage is so low right now, I just can't justify the drive over to run 4-5 miles.

Leif

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL: