hug your local race directors

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by lynn allin on February 05, 2005 at 18:18:25:

Fellow Pacers!

Although I have helped with a bunch of races in small ways, I was in no way prepared for taking on such a big role in the Battle of Mobile Bay. I want to pass along what I learned in other to educate racers about the "behind the scenes" preparation that goes into these beasts we call races. Besides education, I hope it will help you in your apprecitation of the good folks who toil away thanklessly at so many of our races.

I was just in charge of tshirts. I take a poll: People are sick of white shirts, they want a color they can wear, but not a girly color! But the design can't be too intricate because this is a fund raiser for Fort Gaines and how will we make money if the shirts cost a fortune? So, I had a design. Well, you can't half tone it and this color won't work and so forth. After several trips and email correspondences, a design was finalized. But the shirts I ordered weren't in yet. Oh no, wrong color arrived...lime green. Not cool. So the correct color comes in at the last minute, then changes have to be made to the design again. The fronts of the shirts are printed while the sponsorship logos for the back are being finalized.

Mamie McCall, our fearless race director, has been banging on doors and shaking trees up and down the bay looking for donations. And lots come in. But some people don't respond in time, I can't hold the shirts any longer and the logos need to get printed on the backs. Oh no, some people have sent jpegs, some tiny tiny gifs, some people a business card, some horribly photocopied logos. I have to make them all look good, and they aren't giving me much to work with.

Meanwhile, Rick is charge of beer. Light beer? regular...from whom? Best deal? How will we get it there? Jimmy has driven all over looking for just the right trophies. Another bone of contention: some people like trophies, some like mugs, some like plaques, some like posters or other commemorative items. Jimmy comes through with gorgeous...well, you'll have to wait and see. Then there is Victor, who is responsible for picking up the Blue Bell Ice Cream donation and ensuring its still-frozen delivery to the race sight. I am glad I only had tshirts.

So a great big hug to the Bay Area Runners who are doing Joe Cain tomorrow. Three cheers for Mamie who's baby flies next weekend. Kudoes to Kerry for the super beast known as the ATR. And thank you thank you thank you, to everyone who helps put on races.

I only hope the learning curve is steep and it will be a bit easier second time around.

Lynn "stop me before I volunteer again" Allin

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL:
Link Title: