ATR Female Master

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by Ed Wild on March 22, 2005 at 22:44:00:

The following are the rules for a USA Track and Field Sanctioned Road Race. These rules apply to ATR since it is sanctioned. This definition is directly from the USA Track and Field Web Site:

What is a "sanction"?

A USATF sanction is an official designation issued by USATF, through a local Association, which approves and licenses the holding of a competitive track & field, long distance running or race walking event in the United States. The sanction is also a contract, which evidences the event's commitment to follow national and international rules and regulations of the sport and to provide a safe environment for the participants and spectators. Once the event has satisfied the sanction requirements, the event's application for sanction is approved.

There are several forms that a sanctioned race must fill out and sign that define the contract between the sanctioned race and USA Track and Field. One form is the USA Track & Field - Elite Sanction Addendum. The addendum is required if the race awards at least one individual prize greater than $500.

I will quote from the addendum:

Check all applicable reasons your event requires an Elite Sanction (see instructions):
_ Awards at least one individual prize greater than $500
_ Invites at least one non-resident foreign athlete
_ Serves as a National Championship or selection trial for an
international team (specify):
_ Subject to formal drug testing procedures

Please read the instructions on the back page. Return the form to your local Association with required fees at least four weeks prior to the date of the event. The Applicant Copy will be returned following approval/denial of your sanction application. In addition to the completed application, you must enclose an additional sheet listing all funds to be awarded based on performance (prize money & bonuses) - see instructions. All athletic funds based on performance shall be paid to athletes in accordance with this schedule. Comliance with this payment schedule and the Elite Sanction Addendum are integral conditions upon which the sanction is granted. Notice of any changes must be submitted to USATF and no change will be effective without USATF approval.

Another form that a sanctioned race must fill out and sign is the USA Track & Field Application For Sanction. This form requires the race to be conducted in accordance with USATF competition rules.

Thus, the method of conducting (including scoring) the race and prize money payout is set prior to the race for sanction races.

I called USATF on Monday and requested that they provide me with information from the signed 2005 ATR USA Track and Field - Elite Sanction Addendum. I was informed that the Addendum specified that prize money would be paid to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place female Master Division.

I also informed USATF of the 2005 ATR Female Master results and awarding of prize money. A USATF representative requested I email him about the situation and that he would contact ATR officials.

On Tuesday, I receive an email from the ATR director of elite and invited runners indicating that the female master division results will be restated and that prize money will be rewarded.

My wife and I are now satisfied that the situation has been resolved. I wish no ill will towards the ATR or Port City Pacers. The main reason I brought up this issue in a public forum is that a similar situation occurred in 1995 and I felt it was finally time to remedy the situation for everyone not just my wife.

I think everyone has a right to know how a race will be scored and how prize money will be distributed prior to a race. Obviously this is required of a USATF sanctioned race. In the future, I think it would be advisable to post a copy of the ATR elite sanction addendum in a public forum (e.g. website, brochure) or at least the prize money payout.

As I indicated to the ATR official I spoke with on the phone, ATR or any race does not have to award money money for all major divisions (at least to my understanding of USATF rules). One year they can specify payout to e.g. just male or female masters. It just needs to be specified beforehand on the elite addendum.

Sorry about the long winded email, but I thought it would be beneficial to point out what the rules really are. You can view them at the USATF website.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL: