Re: salt lake city

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by Leif Irgens on April 03, 2005 at 10:57:39:

In Reply to: salt lake city posted by lynn allin on April 02, 2005 at 20:55:18:

I've only been to Salt Lake City for cross-country skiing so I don't really know much about what's available around town. However, if you have some time, drive up Little Cottonwood Canyon toward the Solitude ski area. It's about a 30 min. drive and should be on either a state map or possibly even a city map. Some friends and I went back-country XC skiing up there one day so I know there's at least one hiking trail up there; probably dozens more. Another place to go would be Park City (about 30 min. up the interstate from SLC). Assuming you have the time to drive somewhere to run, there should be plenty of daylight now for an evening run.

As far as altitude training goes, your body will go through some major short-term adaptations over the first 24-48 hours, including concentrating your red blood cells by dumping a couple of pounds of water; so, if you need to pee every hour your first day up there, that's what's happening. Don't try to prevent it by not drinking fluids or you'll find yourself with the worst altitude induced headache you've ever had. Drink lots of fluids and let your body do what it knows it needs to do. I usually find that day 3 is the day that I feel wiped out and crummy. After that, all the short term adaptations will be complete and you should start to feel better, which will be just about time to come back home. If you want altitude to turn you into a runing animal, you'll have to stay up there 6 weeks and give your body time to make a bunch of extra red blood cells. Can't do it any faster than that without EPO or a homologous blood transfusion and you don't want a 2-year suspension, do you?

Leif

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL:
Link Title: