Re: Shift Schedules

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by Leif Irgens on July 22, 2005 at 10:17:55:

In Reply to: Re: Hey Victor posted by athena lopez on July 22, 2005 at 07:32:35:

Athena,

That sounds like what's referred to as the "Chevron schedule", I guess because Chevron was the first to use it. It's:

Work: Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday nights.
Off: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday,
Work: Friday, Saturday, Sunday days
Off: Monday
Work: Tuesady, Wednesday, Thursday nights
Off: Friday, Saturday, Sunday
Work: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday,
Off: Friday through the following Thursday (7-day "long change").

The great thing about this schedule is being off that one week out of four. The hard part is that short change between working Sunday day and having to be back out for the Tuesday night shift.

The plant I worked at in WV used this schedule. We tried it down here but they hated it (I think the shift folks down here were too accustomed to their current schedule, which alternates woking either 2 or 3 days with being off either 2 or 3 days).

Either way, best wishes on adapting to working rotating shift. What I learned from working night shift is that the best way to adjust is, when you come off night shift, go straight home, get in bed and go to sleep. Don't eat, read the paper or watch TV. Get yourself to sleep before your brain starts realizing that it's daytime and thinking you should be awake because it's daytime. Get some dark blinds for your bedroom window and invest in some ear plugs to keep daytime noises from waking you up (you can get them at Wal-Mart).

Leif

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL:
Link Title: