Re: What would you do?

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by Vince Kilborn on March 20, 2006 at 06:27:46:

In Reply to: What would you do? posted by athena lopez on March 19, 2006 at 23:30:56:

Athena,

I feel for you in this tough situation. Of course, i'm not a doctor, and don't even play one on tv, but it looks like you are looking for perhaps an objective opinion. I'm also registered for the ATR. I have never run the ATR 10K, and only ran the two mile as a teenager many years ago, so of course this means a lot to me as well. I just running last August, and b/r that I was "Gallowalking" for a couple of months. Perhaps resting w/o any running during the meantime is one way to get to the starting line. You lose virtually no fitness for 5 days or so, and I believe Roger Bannister rested completely 4 or 5 days before sub-4'ing the mile. The other option is to take walk breaks during the early part of the race and see how you feel. I am a large runner, 6'3" and north of 200lbs, so I really listen to my body, particularly knees and achilles. Ran the First Light w/ very little training, but I knew I was going to have to take walk breaks going in. It worked. I felt fine and ran the Panther Pride a week later. Ran the 15k Double Bridge after that. I have never sustained a debilitating injury, likely b/c I only run 3 days per week (4 at most) to avoid injury. Sound like a PR is not an issue, so at most I would limit myself to a slow jog or walk/run approach. If it were me, I am nearly certain I would not run at all as I don't like to enter a race I do not feel ready for. Yes, I know the ATR is special. At 40, though, I'm not too proud to say I'm hurt and need to rest. I would hate to see the condition get any worse or lead to a further setback, particularly since this has happened b/r. Also, I would not really base a decision on the fact that you do not plan to train after the ATR b/c that doesn't take into account the further injury you could sustain during the ATR, which of course means you wouldn't be able to train anyway. You still have some time to think about it. If you are determined to start, I wouldn't do anything except perhaps walk a mile or 2 between now and then just to see how you feel, decide, and proceed w/ caution during the ATR if you feel up to it. If you can't run the ATR or decide not to, the Crescent City is in only 3 weeks. You could feel better by then. Remember, nobody could question the wisdom of not running, but there is clearly some risk involved if you do. There are lots of races, but we only have two knees. Listen to what your knee is telling you. My thoughts are with you on this, and I sincerely hope you feel better soon. Vince

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL: