There R Violators & There R Ultraviolators

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by Monetta Roberts on October 19, 2007 at 14:57:53:

In Reply to: racewalking rule violations posted by kenric andrews on October 19, 2007 at 10:31:59:

Define running.

But seriously, when you enter an unjudged race, sooner or later you're bound to encounter every kind of competitor, and I don't know that there is a lot you can do, other than a GENTLE word of enlightenment, should you so chose. But that's as likely to end on a low note as on a high one.

We're actually lucky here that the PCP supports racewalking, and some of you younger whippersnappers ought to recruit kids, old folk, injured runners, interested parties, etc. to join in on our racing fun! The more racewalkers, the larger and deeper the pool of available spouses, friends, family, athletes, etc. to become certified judges and the greater the rotation among athletes so that it's not a big deal to sit out a race in order to provide qualified judging because you know others will be taking their turn and you'll get to race the next several.

Me, look at me, I'm old, I'm tired, but I did my part back in the day to get the racewalk added as a category to Pacer races and the club has been great--really, really great--about keeping it up. I judged for two Olympiads (isn't that a cool measure of time??)& gave free rw lessons and/or coaching the USA track for YEARS (and years and years) to anyone who showed up with the hopes of taking over the streets of Mobile! (I think we covered most of 1/2 a block, once!)

I say this not as much for applause [insert applause here] but because when I was (more) involved in the club, my pet peeve was always well-intentioned folk who came up with really *great* ideas for the club, but not so much for the idea-thinker to implement, but for some other volunteer to do. So when I suggest recruit racewalkers, go to the one or two-day officials' training and become a certified judge, etc., believe me, I've done all the things I'm suggesting.

Another alternative is travel to judged events: the USATF National 5K championship has been held in Kingsport, TN (early OCT) for years and years now, and there are regional and natl championship races in FL (although mostly south FL). For local fun, the NOTC in N.O. usually has a rw category and they often have judged events---you'd need to check ahead to be sure though. There's a link to the NOTC on this website, and you can find info on regional, masters and national championship racewalks at www.usatf.org. It may be that the Pine Belt Pacers (also linked here) have racewalking, but N.O. is probably going to be the closest place to find a judged event.

In the meantime, you can always do what I do in an unjudged event: Take it for a really good, really hard, workout, and endeavor to improve your own time and your own technique and practice getting race-tough---practice cutting the tangents, learn (trial and error) WHEN it's time to make your move and practice doing so; and once you can see, hear or smell the finish line, go catch every single runner and walker you possibly can between you and that finish clock.... while keeping perfect technique.

Mo

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL:
Link Title: