Local Runner Definition for Charity Run

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by Vic Knight on November 04, 2005 at 07:06:42:

Hello to all.

After a few discussions with some members of the running community, I felt that it was in everyone’s best interest that I attempt to clear up an issue regarding the definition of a local runner for the purpose of receiving prize money in the local category for Saturday’s Charity Run.

The issue that makes it controversial at times is obvious – how to properly define who is a local runner. Here are are my three main points of criteria:

1. U.S. Citizen

All prize money paid to anyone at the Charity Run will go to U.S. citizens only. This is the same criteria I use in the open men’s and women’s races. If you’re not a U.S. citizen, you will not receive prize money. I understand that non-U.S. citizens have won prize money at the Charity Run in the past, including those who were also considered “local.” That is simply past history, and has no bearing on the current criteria as to who will receive prize money this year or in the future.

2. A resident of Mobile or Baldwin County.

You must be a resident of Mobile or Baldwin County. I think resident is pretty self explanatory. It means that you live here. Many have discussed a time frame regarding how long you should live here before you’re considered local, or that you regularly participate in local or PCP races, etc. I think that is very difficult to fairly define, however, I think the “spirit” of this rule is pretty clear -- yes, you should have lived here for a reasonable period of time, are not just "passing through" or temporarily living here with friends, most of the top runners in the community should know you, and you should be a regular participant in local races. First and foremost, the Charity Run should not be your only or rare appearance on the local running scene.

3. College Runners

As most of you know, this is generally the “gray” area where questions arise. Here’s my best attempt at defining it:

Any runner currently competing in any form at the collegiate level is not considered a local runner. For the purposes of the Charity Run, you need to be at least four months removed from any collegiate competition to be eligible for local runner definition. For example, if you graduated this past May, are no longer attending post-graduate classes, and concluded your competition for your collegiate team at that time, AND have since established local residency, then you would be considered local.

If you are not from Mobile or Baldwin County and are attending college here in Mobile or Baldwin County, you are not a local runner. And “from” means that you attended high school in Mobile or Baldwin County, your parents live here, etc. Seriously, I think we all know what this means.

If you are not from Mobile or Baldwin County and recently graduated from a local college or university, you would be considered a local runner if you have established full-time residency in Mobile or Baldwin County -- i.e.: a permanent residence/full-time job, etc.

If you attended a local high school, are "from" Mobile/Baldwin and are currently attending a local college or university, then you would be considered a local runner.

If you attended a local high school and are currently attending a college or university outside of Mobile or Baldwin County (i.e. Alabama or Auburn), then you would be considered a local runner. However, if you recently graduated from a school outside of Mobile/Baldwin and have not re-established residency in Mobile or Baldwin County, then you would no longer be considered a local runner.

I’m sure that there are many “loopholes” or exceptions to what I just described, and I'm sure some may disagree with parts of the above criteria, and also that there is probably no true “hard and fast” criteria that can ever be completely defined.

If there is ANY doubt as to your status as a local runner as it pertains to prize money competition at Saturday’s Charity Run, you should contact me via e-mail at knight@seniorbowl.com for a clarification BEFORE race day.

Please pass along this information to anyone that you know who may have questionable local runner qualifications and could place in the top five. I will also have a copy of this criteria available at the registration/packet pick-up desk. Last year’s fifth place local man ran the 10K in 35:26 and the fifth place local woman ran 41:32.

If you’ve already registered for the race, thank you for taking part and also helping us achieve our charitable goals. If you haven’t, you may do so at race headquarters in the Riverview Plaza Hotel on Friday from 9-9 and on race day morning from 6-8 a.m.

Also, if anyone ever has any comments about the Charity Run, please let me know. We want this race to continue to grow, and would greatly value your input to accomplish that.

Looking forward to a fantastic day of running in downtown Mobile on Saturday. Looks like we’ll have a record turnout and I hope everyone has a great race!

Sincerely,

Vic Knight
Charity Run Race Director

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail: