My most appreciative marathon opportunity is in my hometown

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by Joey Warner on January 19, 2006 at 01:16:00:

I want to thank all of the many volunteers that work so hard every year to organize and follow through with the Mobile Marathon. I have run four of the five and missed one because of a sickness, although I followed runners all over the course with a video camera that year.

The most rewarding feeling is when I receive my medal from a member of the L'Arche family of unfortunate, but gifted people. After the grueling 26.2 miles and the blessing of crossing the finish line, I reserve my biggest heartfelt hugs for those wonderful human beings.

The run this year was probably the most satisfying of my 14 completions in the ultimate test. I always expect the worst and hope for the best in the marathon and nobody should ever think that he/she will always make it to the finish line. We can't call ourselves quitters if we don't make it because I have experienced it with a DNF in the 2000 Mardi Gras Marathon. I learned so much from dropping out and don't want to go back there but it can and will happen. There are times when we drag up and walk-run, walk-run. Struggle but keep going! Monetta Roberts said it best, "Save it for another day."

My physical life is not the best example of quality over the last few years but I keep running because of the quality from the therapy I receive from my daily dosage on the roads, sidewalks and trails. The self motivation it takes to work hard on a daily run allows my mind to think creatively and use energy to build energy. I believe God blessed me with a gift to run and sometimes the marathon is a good way to find out how much I really do love running.

The marathon usually beats me up one side of the street to the other, however in 2006, I did not give in to the temptation to let up. I kept going as my stride shortened and my body tightened. I focused in on where I was going and how I was going to get there. I need to practice more of this in my ways of living. I owe so much to Mr. John Brigham. John is a standout runner at Mississippi State. He has a PR of 14:30 in the 5K and 25:10 in the 8K and the Sophomore is not finished. He and his Bulldog teammates dominated the team competition in the Marathon Relay.

Congratulations is in order to my good friend and teammate, Mr. Wyman Hamilton, for winning the Marathon in 2:42. I think this is Y-man's biggest victory and he deserves it.

Victor Birch's Blue Bell Bombers are the real deal. It was a very fun competition because Bruce Coldsmith has made this event what it is today. Awesome. I think we can get 50 teams involved next year. Thank You to Marty DeMouy for his organization of our own "Team Spitupon" OOPS!!! :) I mean "Spiridon." Without Coach Jon Adams, it is difficult, but it is all great, friendly competition. We need more of this.

During my three previous attempts on this challenging Mobile course I have had a landmark that has rear-ended me every time. The railroad tracks on mile 21 just before Crichton is the WALL that shuts me down and this year I felt it creeping up on me again, until two high school relayers caught me on the downhill in front of St. Paul's. The relay # I was wearing on my back was really my age and those two 15 year olds were taking it to this 28 year old.

As I passed Bill Brigham's house on Loyola Lane, out the door came his son John long striding it. "Brig" is by far the best high school middle distance runner to ever come out of Mobile. The former St. Paul's star taught me so much with his grit, guts and determination while running for Coach Jim Tate.

John ran up beside me and offered to help me. I said, "Just get me passed the railroad tracks , Buddy." John had just finished running a 26 minute 5-miler on the fourth leg of the relay. He said to me with soft spoken confidence, "I have to run downtown anyway."

I refueled a last time in front of Lewis Shreve's house on Myrtle Lane before I would begin my journey to see how much desire, determination, dedication and discipline I had on this day. John geared down and stayed right with me. He offered so much encouragement and coaching with a solemn but intelligent expression. Just when I needed it, came more observatory advice. He was my waiter for water and gatorade as I kept going. After I conquered the railroad tracks "Wall," I told John, "Lets run five miles."

As time began to pass and my steps shortened, I would feel my body tighten up like an extended rubberband. John kept telling me the things I needed to hear. I kept pushing and had no choice but to concentrate on finishing.

I kept thinking about how I cheered for John in a different way while he absorbed so much pain while winning so many races for St. Paul's. I kept telling myself, "He took the pain and today it is my turn."

I kept my eyes off the ground and prayed silently as the pain was not going away. I had to take it because on this morning, stopping or even taking a break, was not an option. I was honored be running with Mr. John Brigham and I was going to finish with him bringing me home.

On mile 25, I heard a car coming from behind and the horn was blowing atleast 15 times. No doubt I knew who this could be. As a grimacing grin embraced my face, I saw my youngest daughter Amanda hanging out the window of her mother's car taking pictures with her new digital camera.

Daddy was actually in a good mood at this time. He had it whipped as he was approaching Broad Street. I asked them to turn up the music and the song playing was so fitting with the lyrics of "I ain't got nobody....that I can't depend on."

When I laid eyes on the Golden Domes of the Cathedral, God was telling me that Notre Dame has a Spirit in all this too, so I kept on pushing because it was almost over.

It was not my fastest marathon, nevertheless my 2:55 was very satisfying because I did not let the Mobile Marathon beat me up this year. Without John Brigham, I would have lost. Even though the results said 5th place, Like everyone else that finished any distance, we all won!!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL: