Outline of relay legs

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by Bruce Coldsmith on January 10, 2008 at 21:14:49:

Following is a brief description of each leg with location and parking, as well as some observations on each leg. I have included a subjective rating of difficulty from 1-10.. A 1 is a flat and fast course. A 10 is uphill into the wind. The toughest Mobile could ever dish up is a 7, maybe a 6. I characterize the segments as follows:

Leg 1 Start at starting line (Government and Claiborne) at 7:30 AM and runs to the five mile mark, approximately one mile from the starting line on Government close to Hallet . Best parking is right off Government on North side of Government on Hallet. This leg is flat and generally scenic as it runs through the Oakleigh District. There are a lot of turns, the start is early and the pavement is sometimes uneven. I rate this a 1 of 10.

Leg 2 Start at Government and Hallet and runs to Dauphin Street near the Atlanta Bread Company. This is as good as it gets! I'd rate it a one, flat and fast with alot of people around until the half marathon turn near the Ruby Tuesday at Tacon Street. Park on Hallet for the start and near the Atlanta Bread company at the end.

Leg 3 Start at Atlanta Bread company. This is where the hills come in and this could be the toughest leg, but it's not! You have several tough hills and rolling hills in between as you weave your way through the Country Club area to the University. Starts with good rise on Dauphin to Country Club, and a slow rise to the University of South ALabama. This segment ends on the back of the Swamp Loop (Hospital Drive) at the 15 mile mark. Park at the Atlanta Bread Company at the start, and there is ample parking right on Swamp loop. Rating 5 Swamp loop is good place for kids to wait. (five mile leg).

Leg 4- The toughest leg because of Firehouse Hill, but also the most scenic as you have a run through the park and then through the Avenue of the Oaks and Springhill. You do have a hill or two. Ends on Myrtlewood/Batre Lane, North of Old Shell Road. Rating 6. Good parking on the Swamp Loop (Hospital Drive), no parking on Myrtlewood though you can park on the side roads. (5 mile leg).

Leg 5- In many ways the easiest leg, except it is also the longest leg. This stretch is actually downhill with a particularly steep downhill right at the start of the leg. The Springhill Ave. stretch is boring, but the final straightaway down Dauphin to Bienville Square rates as the best finish in area road racing, especially with the inspiring marathoners there beside you. Rating 1 10K leg.

There will be bands, food, and an excellent Chiropractor and message therapists in the Square, so I recommed all relay runners to meet up there. (Bring Sweats)

I will be at the relay booth at the Radisson from 12-8 on Saturday so come on by. The accepting runner must sign in with the relay official at the exchange area, and must wear the division ribbon on their back and the baton/wrist band must be passed from runner to runner.

I hope this helps.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL:
Link Title: