And What's More...

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by Monetta Roberts on January 20, 2008 at 08:03:45:

In Reply to: 3 out of 300 ain't bad posted by Victor Birch on January 20, 2008 at 00:29:17:

From the cave in the woods where TRFKAFBM's family keeps him at night and on weekends and federal holidays:

"Kevin.....your posting made me think about my racing career. It started in 1784 or somewhere around there so I'm sure that I'm around 3,300,000 races.......In any case, every race application that I have ever bothered to read [if he could read] states that the race could be cancelled due to inclement weather...."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was going to add something truly useful (as is always the case), but I have amused myself so greatly with the above that I have plum forgotten what it was.....hmmmmm, lemme think. Maybe it was simply that I too was standing ready near the start line of the Old Mobile 8K that year (NOT Your Father's Old Mobile: PaceLetter Cover, circa whenever that Oldsmobile ad campaign "Not your father's Oldsmobile" was going strong)in the rain and the lighning directly overhead, with everyone else, as though we all had good sense, though clearly we did NOT, when a 12th hour decision by clearer heads was made that it would be sheer lunacy to send us out to our possible deaths by electricity from on high and the race was called, while we waited for the starter's gun. SMART. And hey: thank you, lo these many years later.....

Only problem was the "after race" beer was not so sweet since we were wet from rain and not exertion, but, as I recall, the cookies were!

This is a good club, and they do what they do with the Big Picture in mind. We, me included, would all do well, next time we don't like something that happens, to stop and at least try to see it from from perspective of the 100% volunteer workforce that pulls everything together and makes these critical decisions, based not on what's best for them, but what's best for the club and the race participants. There's not a job in this operation, short of possibly beer fetcher, and I don't think that's really a job, that isn't a thankless one, and I know I've held at least three official ones over the years.

Give the kids a break; and let's give peace a chance.

Mo

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL:
Link Title: