Re: Old Mobile, One Milers, and Board Members

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by Kerry Rehm on March 06, 2009 at 20:34:46:

In Reply to: Re: Old Mobile, One Milers, and Board Members posted by Mike Warrington on March 05, 2009 at 12:42:04:

Mike, it has nothing to do with having "extra time". Do you think those on the board have "extra time"? We serve (served) on the board because it is the right thing to do when it involves a non-profit organization that is looking to better the community by putting on races and getting people to exercise. Since the Port City Pacers has over 700 members and 400 households, it should be required that positions on the board be held by most of those members for a year or two and not just for the same 30 members who have held the same position or two to three different positions for most of the years this organization has been a service.

In other words, there's a group of members who have been putting in the "volunteer hours" for PCP far more than, a club with 700 members, should have to. IT'S TIME FOR NEW FACES TO TAKE THEIR TURN AT VOLUNTEERING. For example, our Results & Registration person has been doing this job for a good 15 years or more and the organization is only 32 years old.

I've been Course Marshal for almost 5 years and Azalea Trail Run Expo Director for 7 years. Before that, I used to run in the races but now I can't because I can't get anyone to step up and "take the reins" from me cause "they don't have the time".

Extra time?? Nobody has extra time! It's called "Servicing Your Community"!!

You good people who get to enjoy running the races, eating the donated food/drinking the donated beverages and having the time to leisurely converse with friends, remember that there are a group of volunteers who helped provide this for you - pretty much the same group year after year after year.

If this scenario doesn't change soon, don't be upset when you come to a race and there's noone there to produce one.

Honestly, I'm not trying to pick on you, Mike, but we've heard the excuse of "not having the time" so much it is starting to grow mold.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL: