Re: A step ahead

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by Kevin Egan on January 23, 2010 at 13:29:17:

In Reply to: A step ahead posted by Jon Bowie on January 23, 2010 at 08:21:25:

FWIW Dep't- I did the 10K in Ocean Springs this morning. Start time 9AM. We ran largely residential streets. No big commercial thoroughfares. Also along the beach road. About 4 or 5 turns out, then back again. Roads open to traffic. "Caution Runners on Road" signs every now and then (at cross streets).

They had no one directing traffic. Had what appeared to be some volunteers at some turns, but never saw one out of their car.

Now, I am NOT advocating abandoning traffic control (or anarchy for that matter), but it did demonstrate to me that given the right set of roads and runners made aware of conditions, traffic can take care of itself. Personally, I felt that they should have had some traffic control at a few of the key intersections/turns, but clearly they did not need one at every little intersection.

Cones, barricades etc can serve as good traffic calming (not control) devices. My $.02.

Final thought- I appreciate the effort that the Pacers put into every event. The leadership and volunteers do a great job and I thank you.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL: