Re: Why change the Azalea Trail Run

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by Bill Bowman on March 20, 2014 at 18:00:24:

In Reply to: Re: Why change the Azalea Trail Run posted by Richard Leonard on March 17, 2014 at 14:47:00:

Richard-you make some interesting points. I just hate to see a classic race changed and the start is the best part of the race-right up there with the best in the country like the Verazanno Bridge in NYC. Alot of big races have large areas at start and then narrow down (like Peachtree is huge at start and narrows alot at Piedmont Park). I just dont like the log jamb at Canal St. I was hopping on mediums last year to get out of there. It reminds me of the Bushwacker start in Pensacola where 2000 runners are starting in a neighborhood and cant move and are running on the lawns.

I also like coming in on Dauphin as you look into the downtown skyline which I enjoy.

What would really be ideal in my opinion would be to start and finish on Government. I know it changes the original course some, but I doubt anyone will miss Canal either at start or finish. You could run out the old way with the wide 6 lane street and all the trees, and then return down Dauphin and see the skyline and then turn on Broad and then back onto Government for the last mile and you would get the shade and crowds could watch the finish (I know my wife likes that as she could never find me at finish).

Just my old opinion. I really love that race and want it to be success. I will run it every year either way the course is laid out until I am no longer able.

thanks for responding-Bill Bowman

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL:
Link Title: