Re: Disgusted with Azalea Trail

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by Ed Wild on March 19, 2005 at 22:22:46:

In Reply to: Re: Disgusted with Azalea Trail posted by Leon Mattics on March 19, 2005 at 17:16:11:

I don't believe that is the case. The first place male masters overall (Paul) and second place masters overall (Dennis) were told by race officials that she (Kelly) finished 10th overall and thus would be removed from placing in the Master Division. Additionally, they were told that since there were no invited Master competitors, they (ATR race officials) did not want someone who ran a 42 minute 10K to be awarded any prize money.

I have looked at all the previous ATR results and in every year prior to 2005, the Female Masters 10K award went to the faster female over the age of 40. You can verify this yourself.

This is not the first time ATR official have used their bag of tricks. In 1995, Kelly finished in the top ten (She was either 9th or 10th) and was told to come up on stage and receive her check and award. She received nothing that year, including not even an age group medal. She talked to the race officials and was told she would receive something in the mail. Never happened.

I honestly believe that the ATR officials believe that an out of town female will not put up a fight to their antics. Perhaps, they were disgusted by giving $1000 and $500 dollars out to two out of town male masters "slow pokes" last year, i.e. James Fraizer and Tim Unger. Both these guys were slower than two of the female Master runners last year. Nonetheless, I challenge ATR to list what the prize money categories will be prior to the race. At least that way they may be able have some sort of ethical accounting of race sponsor contributions.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL: