Volunteer Horrors Revisited

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by Kerry Rehm on March 24, 2005 at 09:11:55:

This thing about volunteering for our races AND/OR for the P.C.Pacer's board is like a thorn in my side. I guess I take it too personally most times but I can't help but believe that more help from a group that consists of, I think, over 700 members would make our races and our organization as a whole a more family-oriented, efficient and fun-filled activity for ALL members of the group.

I bring this subject up because last night I was called by a member of the PCP board committee and asked if I would consider running for one of the open positions that will be voted on in May. I, reluctantly, told them "yes" knowing that the position, which is one that no one likes to take on, would likely go without someone "stepping up" to say they would give it a try. What bothers me about this scenario is that the committee has maybe, let's say, around 50 people that they can call on to ask about lending their time for an open position. This group of 50 are the same group of 50 that you see either volunteering at races past or present OR volunteering time by serving on the board whether now or in the past. My questions is, "What about the other 650 members of this organization"? Okay, take away about, what, 300 of those members because they fall under the "child labor" laws that would take precedent :) but that still leaves 350 members who need to STEP UP as I mentioned previously.

WE NEED NEW FACES TO SAY "YES, I WANT TO BE INVOLVED WITH WHAT GOES ON IN THE P.C. PACERS ORGANIZATION"

AND KNOW THIS FOR A FACT - WE WILL NOT THROW YOU INTO A POSITION, WHETHER ON THE BOARD OR AT ONE OF OUR 22 RACES WE PUT ON, WITHOUT SHOWING YOU THE ROPES. SOMETIMES, USUALLY FOR RACES, IT MAY CONSIST OF "ON THE JOB TRAINING".

I'll be happy to do this position that has been asked of me but I would really love to see someone new take on the challenge. I have and continue to volunteer my time at most races helping with finish line chute duties, registration and course set-up & takedown. I'm also Expo Director for the ATR. I think it's time for someone else to STEP UP to the plate. Which one of you 350 will it be? I hope to hear that it's ALL of you.

It certainly is sad that a group like ours has members that other members have never met. What a wonderful opportunity this presents for that to finally take place.

PLEASE CALL ONE OF THE BOARD MEMBER'S PHONE NUMBER LISTED IN YOUR PACER NEWSLETTER (PACELETTER) AND LET THEM KNOW YOU ARE WILLING TO STEP UP.

THANKS!!

Oh, by the way, I'm going to keep "harping" on this subject until I see those new faces around the race area and office. :)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL: