Re: Chicago marathon

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by Monetta Roberts on October 09, 2007 at 12:05:04:

In Reply to: Chicago marathon posted by Lisa Blount on October 09, 2007 at 11:37:03:

Wow Wow Wow! Didn't know we had finishers in Chicago this year! You kids are double tough in my book, and I've seen some tough ones! I refuse to even rub it in by saying that me and my buds ran Chicago last year when there was a chance of snow flurries-----oops, I said it! Sorry.

I know I coached two teams for charity that ran the two hottest Disney Marathons on record, and didn't have the benefit of being there with either of them, although the charity did send me to three Disneys (one freezing, one cold, and one pleasant). Last January, when my last Disney team did THE hottest on record, and I was on pins and needles back here at home base. I'd gotten word to them to forget Plan A and sent a Plan B: SURVIVE, at all costs.

Lemme tell ya, even though you can never know for sure what your weather will be on race day (thanks to the Marathon Beast and the games he likes to play) do yourself a BIG favor and don't ever PLAN to go to a warm or hot marathon, unless you thrive on such foolishness. The degree of difficulty it adds is too, too much. At least for me.

I know I did the Honolulu Marathon back in, I dunno, 2000? Maybe earlier, not that it matters as far as weather goes. And still I say to you today, you can not PAY me to do it again. Gimme a cold one any day. Of course I remember the Loftins doing it often and enjoying it very much. I think Charlie once said it was his favorite marathon. All I know is it took me a lot of Mai Tais to be able to smile again afterward on that race afternoon. I actually remember standing for long minutes, during the race, leaning on shade trees, gathering up the energy to carry on.

My hat and my heart rate monitor is off to our area finishers in Chicago. You are tougher than me, for sure. I guess the bright side is your next one can only be easier (unless you go to Honolulu....)

Mo

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL:
Link Title: