Re: Chicago marathon

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by Leif Irgens on October 09, 2007 at 18:58:27:

In Reply to: Re: Chicago marathon posted by Allyson Lamey on October 09, 2007 at 16:25:56:

I can certainly admit that I'd probably be livid if someone tried to pull me from a course. However, keep in mind that one of the problems with people suffering from heat exhaustion is that they start to loose the ability to recognize what's happening to them and they don't make sound rational decisions. (I recall a fellow Mobilian's experience with a hot Chicago marathon a few years back. At the finish, a medic evaluating him asked him what day it was. He told me later: Apparently "October" wasn't the right answer.)

Given the number of participants and the hypothesis that the medical staff probably didn't have the capability to address the potentially huge number of heat exhaustion cases, as an outsider, I have a lot of respect for a director that would make such an unpopular decision in order to prevent an unmanageable number of medical emergencies due to heat exhaustion or stroke.

Remember that heat exhaustion is potentiall fatal and heat stroke is medical emergency with death being likely if the victim does not receive immediate treatment. The medic's can't be everywhere so I'd postulate that the decision to shut down the course probably saved a life or two and saved dozens of others from suffering a permanent future inability to deal with severe heat & humidity (this is one of the consequences of heat stroke or extreme heat exhaustion).

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL: