this saturday...

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by lynn allin on May 05, 2005 at 08:49:08:

In Reply to: first triathalon, need swimming help? advice? posted by Lois Wims on May 04, 2005 at 13:24:26:

There is a tri club that meets at the Fairhope Pier on Saturday mornings at 7, for a brief bay swim, then ride and run. Of this group there are seasoned vets and brand spankin' new folk. There is also the local Team in Training group that trains there. (Go team purple!) Between all these people, you are bound to find someone who can assist you, including myself, who would be glad to give you pointers. A bonus is that we swim parallel to the shore, so all you have to do is stand up, IF you get into trouble.

A word of caution, swimming in open water is not the same as swimming in a pool. A common mistake people make is spending too much time in a place with lane markers and a nice line on the floor to follow. Triathlons aren't like that and the sooner you get in open water and learn the skills necessary, the better. I know people that can swim a mile in a pool and not a lick in open water. A gulf swim is another kind of beast, waves, salt water, scant siting opportunities, and again, the only way to replicate this race experience is to jump in the bay.

We will be there this Saturday, unless it is thundering.
Look forward to seeing you.

Lynn "party at my house Sunday" Allin

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL: