nervous, schmervous!

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by lynn allin on October 18, 2005 at 21:41:20:

In Reply to: My first 1/2, so I'm nervous. posted by LeAnn Bailey on October 18, 2005 at 12:20:36:

Here is what my wise young sister has to say about half marathons:
All the fun, half the pain.

To that end, here is the advice of me, one who has a dozen half and about as many full marathons under her belt:
-don't do anything new on race day! Try out fuel sources in your long runs, and remember you will need protein if you think you will be out there longer than 2 hours. Find what fuels you best, sits well in your tummy and tastes good regardless of the weather. Example, I love chocolate Krave bars, but they melt. Great for bike rides in winter, not so much in summer. Find what works and use it on race day.
-this goes for clothes too! Don't wear a new shirt to celebrate the occasion. It might chaff or cut off circulation to your bracial artery and your arm will fall off. Probably not, but why take the chance? Be prepared for unseasonably cold/warm weather too.
-if you have running shoe/foot problems get them fixed.
-I love my shoes and I know they are properly fitted, but I still get blisters between my toes, because I have freakish-curl-under-baby-hobbitt-toes. Therefore, I put vaseline between my toes before long runs. Some people put it between their thighs, some under their bra. There is a product called body glide that works similarly, but with less grease. Vaseline is cheap and so am I.
At my first marathon my friend told me the secret to success was putting vaseline in your belly button so you would always have an extra supply. I stuck some in there obligingly, and when I needed more, it had sweated out. BUT, every marathon I stick some in there, for good luck and historical respect more than anything else.
-run with your hands in alignment and with your fingers loose, like you are clutching a rolled up scroll of paper. Not a big deal on little runs, but drooping hands put strain on your wrists, make your arm swing less efficient and overall wastes energy. Not a huge deal in a 5 km, but in a half, do you really want to spend more energy than necessary?
-about nerves...anything new is scarey, especially when it has the potential to hurt. The program you are following is sound and will give you the training necessary to finish the race. Nerves are a great motivator, in moderation. Repeat after me: a) ain't nothing to it, but to do it.b) I think I can. I think I can c) if you can dream it, you can do it. d) if it is to be, it is up to me.
- have fun!! Running is a celebration of the dedication you have shown to training, and most importantly, to yourself. Do not have big expectations about placing and time. Any finish will be a personal best. Goals should be 1) finish 2) finish upright and with dignity intact...namely, don't crawl over the line or throw up on yourself 3) have fun and look good doing it! Put on lipstick at mile 13 so your finish photo looks good...and don't forget to throw your arms up in victory!

end of pep talk....get back to training

Lynn "greasey belly" Allin

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL: