Re: ATR question???

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by Kenneth Pfeiffer on March 17, 2008 at 16:53:40:

In Reply to: Re: ATR question??? posted by Monetta Roberts on March 17, 2008 at 16:19:54:

I too have run many races with chips and I understand the rule. Mostly, this rule helps runners who have a chance to win the race. It wouldn't be right to have a runner win the race because of a fraction of a second difference in chip time. The chips really are of more benefit to the middle to back of the pack runners. It may take some of these runners 2 or 3 minutes before they cross the starting line (at McGuire's this past weekend the wheelchairs were almost finished by the time the back of the pack got to the start, which was around 12 minutes). What I feel is unfair is how the chip effects the regional class to middle of the pack runner. There are always people at every race who line up where they shouldn't and this is what really creates the problems. For example, some guy who is somewhat new to running and comes in thinking "I'm fast, I gotta be near the front" and then proceeds to line up right behind the Kenyans, go out at a 5 minute or better mile pace and then crash and burn to eventually walk/run a 45 minute 10K. So then you have a guy who runs a 44 minute 10K, but lines up where he should at the start. This guy takes 1:45 to get through the start and his gun time is now 45:45 and he is behind the other guy just because of where he started the race. This makes everybody want to be closer to the front at the starting line causing even more congestion and therefore making it more of a problem. This is what I have a problem with. I know ultimately everyone runs the same distance and the true essence of a race is who gets from start to finish first, but when you start at different times it is not neccesarily fair...but as I was always told as a kid..."Life's not fair!"

--KP

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL:
Link Title: