Re: Two More Bikers Down

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by MOnetta Roberts on August 24, 2008 at 08:52:56:

In Reply to: Re: Two More Bikers Down posted by Kerry Rehm on August 23, 2008 at 16:14:58:

Kerry:

Yours is a good idea, but it brings to mind two thoughts:

1. While I am NO authority on city code, I do know that groups must have city permits to converge and convene on/at city intersections for certain (if not all) purposes, in advance. I can only suppose that if a group were at an intersection, but not actually touching city property, then only the private property ownership permission would be needed?

2. A group protesting in such a manner, even protesting against city officials, and not the general public, in my opinion, should don their head gear and be otherwise prepared for projectiles launched in their general vacinity.... I'm not saying all people are bad all the time, buuuut, the mean streets don't get that way on their own. To put it in a better light, it's like some car drivers consider themselves to be one SEC football team; and anything on the road on two wheels is another SEC football team: It's sometimes a relatively friendly rivalry, sometimes not, but SOMEBODY'S got to lose!

My third thought (which is a BONUS!) is that we recruit some politically savy somebody to guide all interested and motivated persons to apply pressure where it will most be felt: on local politician election day! We start some sort of grass roots campaign with a snappy motto like, say,

Give Us Bike Lanes: We Vote in Chain Gangs

or something much snappier, and spread it all around, and get the candidates to speak to the issue, and then vote our conscience. Just because we live in the deep south, we don't have to accept the unhealthy mentality some of our towns and cities foist upon us.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL: