Grand Master Record at First Light Marathon

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by Joseph Warner on February 15, 2012 at 03:10:21:

Hello Runners:

Every now and then I check the Port City Pacers Website forum. I was interested to read the post by my ole friend, "Mr. Post Man" Victor Birch.

I read that there is question about the Male Grand Masters First Light Marathon record. I don't keep up with local and Gulf Coast runners anymore but the time frame is interesting. VB mentioned Leonard Verngunst and LV is another ole time friend of mine. Leonard is awesome and he is the one of the best grand masters around.

I have been away from road racing for more than six years. My last competitive race was the First Light Marathon in 2006. I did run two races in 2007 in attempt to bounce back from severe herniated discs that just happened shortly after I turned 43 years old. I ran 19:41 at the 2007 Crime Prevention 5K and 12:10 at the Chickasabogue 2-miler the following week. I hurt a lot in both races and I was defeated by Victor and Rick Walton; two of the most dedicated runners that I was glad to see their backs at the finish line in both races. There is a handful of others that whipped me in those events and I have their names listed and maybe one race there will be a rematch....

I am just kidding...Running is great and I miss it so very,very much. I am 49 and have not ran consistently since that Mobile Marathon in 2006. I have tried to rebuild my running program more times than I can count. Believe me, I used to log everything, study opposing runners, motivate myself, live for running daily and depend on it for physical and mental therapy. It was a blessing for me and I needed all of it. It was such hard work and it was the very best physical activity I had ever experienced. I was always a runner since I was kid and ran harder in high school for conditioning as a baseball player but never started road racing until I was 24.

Anyway, Among other problems with my body, I can barely run 100 yards without hurting. This is the truth. I just don't know what to do. The herniated discs did not go away (Ha! Ha!) and I have had problems in my left leg for quite a while.

I feel very weak as a runner but I can walk pretty good. I am not in too bad of shape but 20 pounds heavier. I have dreams of becoming a runner again. I have Faith that my will body heal and allow me to run for spirit, recreation, and fitness.

I have a long way to go and I have patience. My first goal is to run without mechanical breakdown and failure. I am older but I feel I can still absorb the runner's pain in ways that I used to be blessed with.

Running was always so hard but it was so easy. I was in great shape. It made a difference in my life. I can't explain the void that is present in my life from not having the ability to run safely without dangerous pain.

I applaud everyone that runs and loves it. It is the best exercise in the world. Keep going ....GO RUN.... and cherish the benefits.

That last Marathon in Mobile in 2006 is so very memorable to me. I always had problems at mile 22. The railroad tracks in Crichton just seemed to break me down. I always gave in to the walk-run pattern the three previous times I challenged the course.

On this morning, I was on the Jon Adams Spiridon Relay team and ran the first leg. Although I was attempting the full marathon, I came from behind to pass the runner on the opposing team just before the five-mile mark so I could give our second runner a fair chance against his opponent.

I was bit fast in less than 30 minutes but I was very strong. An hour and a half later, as I was shuffling down the hill beside St.Paul's; John Brigham darted out his front door and geared down beside a struggling old man that was in the midst of conquering the fearful 20-mile wall.

John, who holds the First Light Marathon and Half-Marathon records; an hour earlier had ran the a leg in the relay competition. In my opinion, John is as tough as any runner I have ever been associated with. My daughter Tiffany had the opportunity be a part of Jim Tate's legacy at St. Paul's when John was such a ferocious and determined competitor and I was blessed to witness and video hundreds of races when John gave everything he had and more.

As John led me on to Springhill Avenue, he began coaching me. He did not know the mental block that was tempting my mind about the Crichton journey.
The traffic and the busyness was always overwhelming to me. In three previous attempts, I gave up at those railroad tracks each time. I admired John as he continued to help me and he knew the pain I was experiencing. I kept going because he had an impact with his coaching and patience. John really cared...I could feel it...I refused to quit and I kept putting one foot in front of the other. As my steps became shorter than my already short leg span; John tried to encourage me to lengthen my stride.

As I kept plugging along, it was evident John was in low gear although it was like he felt my pain. John and I had been through a lot in running and I watched him grow into the runner and mentor he has become. I will never be able to thank him enough for staying with me for the last 6.2 miles of that race. I kept running because of John Brigham's inspiration. His soft spoken and serious appearance is time spent that is everlasting. It was just the sixth marathon of fourteen that I ran the entire distance. Finally, I finished fifth overall in 2:55. It was my eleventh sub 3-hour marathon, 370th road race and 199th Top five finish.

I guess it was my last HOORAY as far as competition.

It is ok. My 20 years of preparing to run my race to the fullest of my ability is something I was blessed to challenge so frequently.

All I pray for is to run pain free in the future. I know running. It is really easy. Running is experience. The more you do it...the more you know about it....and the more you find out about yourself. Racing is always the test you take from all the studying and contemplating you do in training.

As for that Grand Masters record in the Mobile Marathon. Very impressive for a 58-year old.

My four top ten finishes were 2:54 to 2:57. I can imagine a marathon and will continue to dream. My running life is like a baby learning how to walk....It takes time and practice...This is my approach. It may not be meant to be but I will always have hope.

It could be a lot worse...and I am thankful that I am healthy and have all the tools and mechanics to start over. Thank You Lord Jesus and bless all the passionate competitors that compete and participate with less after devastating losses.

I will be fifty years old in December.

We never know what we really have until we don't have it anymore.....

God Bless everyone...

RUNWINUCAN bcuz ucan...

JOEY WARNER
Mobile, Alabama

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data