Re: Blood Donations, Tom's in Particular

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by monetta roberts on September 20, 2012 at 18:20:39:

In Reply to: Re: Blood Donations posted by monetta roberts on September 20, 2012 at 14:25:02:

Hey again: I got curious about how well my memory is performing these days. (I couldn't remember.) So I looked up red blood cell regeneration. And Na-na-na-NA-naa, I remembered fairly well.
And wouldn't you just know it?? The relative slowness of new batches of RBC is due to that pesky bone marrow. Hurry up, already, why won't it?? For crying out loud....

Ok: Here to serve if not protect, mo

C & P From Wikipedia:

Recovery and time between donations
Donors are usually kept at the donation site for 10–15 minutes after donating since most adverse reactions take place during or immediately after the donation.[54] Blood centers typically provide light refreshments or a lunch allowance to help the donor recover.[55] The needle site is covered with a bandage and the donor is directed to keep the bandage on for several hours.[38]

Donated plasma is replaced after 2–3 days.[56] Red blood cells are replaced by bone marrow into the circulatory system at a slower rate, on average 36 days in healthy adult males. In one study, the range was 20 to 59 days for recovery.[57] These replacement rates are the basis of how frequently a donor can give blood.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL: