Disgusted with Azalea Trail

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by Ed Wild on March 19, 2005 at 12:56:31:

I think there is a situation with the Azalea Trail Run that everyone should be aware of. Apparently, prize money and awards at the Azalea Trail Run are not awarded fairly. Kelly Wild who ran approx. 38:08 and was first Master female overall did not receive the overall Female
Master award nor did she receive any prize money. Last year, top three Master's male and female received $1000, $500, and $200? respectively.
This year the top three male master runners received prize money.
When a friend of Kelly's asked the race director why she didn't receive any prize money, he was told a decision was made that since no invited female Master runners were invited, prize money was not going to be awarded to Master's females. I think it would be really NICE if the Azalea trail run could let runners no prerace how the price money will be paid out. Apparently it is completely arbitrary and made
up post race. For example, last year there were no invited male Master runners, yet $1000 was paid to James Fraizer of Valparaiso, Fl who finished first. In fact noninvited male Master's were paid $1000, $500,
and $100 respectively last year.

Bad enough, the Azalea trail run decides arbitrarily how to pay prize money, but then they have the gall to not award Kelly the overall Master award. I have never heard of a road race not awarding overall Master to the fastest Master runner unless that Master's runner wins the race. I guess if you are a female non local or non invited runner then you are not eligable for overall awards. Please print this on your race application next year, if this is going to continually be the case.

I don't mind if top masters do not win prize money, but I think that should be clearly stated on the race brochure. Kelly is not an elite runner nor does she expect any special perks. What she does expect is to be treated fairly, that is first place is first place.

Lastly, what this sad state of affairs can tell everyone is that if you are just a normal runner (i.e. holding down a job, raising small children, fitting in your runs whenver you can) that Azalea trail run
will disregard your finishing place since you are not an "invitee". So much for trying your best.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL: