Mobile Marathon

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by Wyman Hamilton on January 19, 2006 at 19:40:41:

I have thought a lot about the Mobile marathon over the past few weeks. I have run all 5 of them from start to finish, in 2003 and 2004 I ran the entire Marathon and the first leg of the relay. Until this past Sunday I had never actually raced it, just run it between 4 and 5 hours with my Dad. Training for and running this marathon with my Dad has meant the world to me. We have spent many quality hours together training and running the marathon. Until Sunday my view was from "The back of the pack" and it was amazing the people we met along the way. I will never forget the people we have met along the way and quality time spent with my Dad. We talk about the race year round and plan our holidays around it and our training, we have grown closer because of running and in part because of this marathon. This year I decided to break down and actually race it, When I first decided this in September I had delusions of trying to break 2:30 (a goal I have never quite reached). Due to work and getting married to the most wonderful woman on earth my training did not match what I needed to do to break 2:30 so I set a new goal, 6 minute pace was realistic ... I just wanted to win. I tapered off and was ready to go on race day ... nothing spectacular 6 minute pace to the finish. The race started with a good pack of runners hitting 6 minute pace but by the time we hit 3.5 miles it was just myself and a half-marathoner, we went through the 5 miles in 29:58. At six miles my mom and our support crew was waiting with water and a "gu"; right on pace. At 8 miles my half marathoner friend peeled off ... I was alone but still on target. At nine miles I passed my support crew again and it got me pumped up again. I ran miles 9-12 alone, no one in sight behind me and I was clicking off six minute pace like it was nothing. Mile 10: 59:55. At mile twelve my support crew was waiting with another "gu" and more water, also at mile 12 a buddy of mine from Auburn jumped in and paced with me. Mile 13: 5:47 I got a little excited having help; Mile 14 (up south Alabama Hill): 6 minutes. Mile 15: 5:48. I had gotten a little excited and hoped I would not pay for that at the end. I settled back into 6 minute pace still feeling pretty good. At mile 18 Pat Hillard and gang helped to get me up firehouse hill but not without it costing me 6:40 that mile. I was starting to hurt but I settled back in on pace. Mile 19: 6 minutes Mile 20: 5:55 total: 2:00.05. That was the last time I saw Marty and the gang who had been cheering me on every 5 miles from the relay exchange zones, they kept me going! I don't remember to much after mile 20, I could not talk much and the wheels kind of came off. My 6 minute miles turned to 6:30's and over the last 4 miles the second place finisher made up 3 or 4 minutes on me, I only ended up finishing a minute a head of him, he stayed strong when I fell apart. My training was good but not what I needed it to be to run a P.R. my support group was great, I ran the best I could on a tough course with the training I had under my belt, I had nothing left. Although not the best time I am proud of the outcome. Being a local runner and running all 5 of the Mobile marathons it meant the world to me to finish in First this go around. Thanks to all the supporters of this race, it is a great one and I will be back next year! Tell all your friends and next year lets get to 1000 participants.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL: