Re: Man on a budget

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by Kenny Pfeiffer on January 20, 2010 at 08:56:39:

In Reply to: Re: Man on a budget posted by Richard Leonard on January 19, 2010 at 20:02:25:

I was not going to post on this topic because I didn't want to risk stepping on anyone's toes. However, I must say that in all the cities I've run local, run-of-the-mill road races, Mobile ranks as one of the best. Maybe you don't believe that the quality of races in Mobile is that much better than anywhere else, but before becoming too critical ask yourself a few of these questions: Do the cheaper races have as much food, beer, music, etc. at the post race party? Is there even a post race party? Are the courses in other cities certified? What are the quality of the awards in other cities? Are there clocks at each split? There are many amenities that we may sometimes take for granted because they've become so common.

As for charities, I have no problem with giving money to them as long as its a just cause, and most of them are. I can see where putting the money back into the club may be an option to reduce costs, but I'm pretty sure if you ask race directors most times it is difficult to even break even doing this? (i.e. The Moonlight Mile, DIITB, etc.)

As Leon stated, another way to reduce costs is by joining the pacers and also pre-registering for races. I am guilty of not doing these myself, as my pacer registration is currently expired and I seldom pre-register. But, if you are looking to cut some costs, these are options.

Lastly, I would hate to see the invited runners not be around at ATR. I agree with most that the prize money should possibly be restructured and become more incentive based to help promote competition, but if there are no invited runners the race would lose much of its luster. Essentially, it would become just another race and I believe you would see numbers fall. Like Richard said, there would definitely be less press coverage.

I hope I was somewhat successful in getting my points across without, stepping on anyone's toes. If I offended anyone, I will go ahead and apologize now. That was not my intention. Thanks to the pacers for putting on, what I consider to be very good quality races. Here's to many more years.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL: