Re: VOLUNTEERS

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Paged Messages] [Request Removal]

Posted by Kevin Egan on May 26, 2007 at 15:25:07:

In Reply to: VOLUNTEERS posted by Pat Hilliard on May 26, 2007 at 11:01:02:

I volunteered to help at a PC Pacer race sometime around last fall (can't recall the name, but it was held at the USA swamp area). I am new to Mobile (and somewhat new to running) and joined PCP last August; and had run perhaps two events when I decided I wanted to get more involved.

Here's my story.

I posted here to find out how to volunteer. Someone emailed me, and we 'chatted by e-mail'. I was told of an upcoming event, and showed up at the designated time and place.

I found the guy I was to locate, who directed me to someone else, whose name is not important now, but was a 'jefe' of the event.

I was told very unceremoniously that "we have more volunteers then we need" and "you might was well just go home" and the ever favorite -we don't need you. My initial impression was that PCP volunteers were somewhat cliquish. I took a banana and left.

Now, I am not the sensitive type. However a certain amount of courtesy would have been all it took to keep me coming back. I have been involved with volunteer organizations many, many years at both the leadership and 'grunt' level. A little kindness and appreciation goes a long way.

FWIW, I will still do PCP events and renew my membership and the appropriate time. I think highly of the group and enjoy the newsletter, it is especially helpful being somewhat new to town and unfamiliar with local races, courses, etc.

That's my $.02. Off my soapbox.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Required Data

Name:
Password: (Forgot it?)
Subject:

Comments (Please be civil):

Optional Data

E-Mail:
Link URL:
Link Title: